Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Food Nerd

I have not posted anything in a long time.  I have continued to plan a menu every week and strive to provide fresh, healthy food for my family on a shoestring budget.  While the economy continues to be hard on many families, we have been fortunate and things have improved for us.  Budget cooking has turned from absolute necessity into a personal challenge and I still try to have fun with it, but I am now bored.

I love to read and I am currently engrossed in the Game of Thrones series. G.R.R. Martin beautifully describes lavish meals served in the great halls as well as the meager scraps savored by refugees of the fictional war-torn countryside. The Hunger Games series has many similar descriptions of exotic and simple dishes throughout the series.

So being the giant nerd that I am, my family will be subjected to strange food experiments while I re-create recipes from these books.  There are several cook books that have their interpretations, but I think it will be more fun to try to figure them out myself.

I did happen onto this fun blog by the authors of the official Game of Thrones Cookbook.  They have done a great deal of research about medieval food.  None of the recipes from the cookbook are involved and it is just kind of fun to follow.

The DVD for both The Hunger Games and The Game of Thrones will be released in the next month or two. I hope to have some recipes for a great DVD premier dinners.

Wild Dog Stew sounds interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment