Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

While my environmental footstep is not the size of a small country, I'm sure there is more that I could do for the planet. Baby steps we've taken include recycling glass, plastic, aluminum, and plastic. I bring my own bags to the store, but mostly for selfish reasons; I hate pulling plastic bags out of my trees every spring.
We have a cow share and enjoy fresh, raw milk and cheese that has exactly 7 food miles. We also butchered our own steer in January, one of the calves from a milk cow heifer. We also bought a pig from the college and processed that ourselves. We've ordered 30 meat chicks and 5 turkey poults. We live in town so luckily, we're able to keep them at a friends place.
I'd love to have a super local Earth Day dinner, but by April everything I canned last fall is gone. We'll be having Spaghetti with Bolognese. I froze a big batch during Christmas break before we had the steer in the freezer, so it's made with plain old grocery store burger. Caesar Salad from a bag and French Bread. The local part of our meal will be fresh mozzarella toasted on the bread.
I'm hoping to get my hoop house completed for the garden this weekend. Hopefully I'll fresh salad fixings by Memorial Day.
I'd like to see a big improvement to my global efforts by next Earth Day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I noticed you were a new follower on my blog- thanks!
    Are you Maureen's friend Ginger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you name your steer that you butchered? (That doesn't sound right....LOL) Anyway, I ask because my aunt did. She named hers Sir Loin. Get it? LOL!

    She had funny names for her pigs too and I cannot remember what they were.

    Great post! I don't conserve/recycle as much as I should. I always forget my grocery bags, we use paper plates more often that I'd like, etc. I do buy vintage items... if that counts. I like to think it does. :)

    ReplyDelete