Monday, October 25, 2010

Menu October 25 - 31

Working and cooking a healthy meal everyday is tough when everyones schedules get ridiculous. Convenience foods are popular for the very fact that they are "convenient." Sometimes things change unexpectedly or you just forget to take anything out of the freezer. Planning for these emergencies is the key to overcoming these hurdles. When I make spaghetti sauce, stews or soups I always try to make enough that I can freeze a container for a future meal. Noodles are another staple that can easily be made ahead and frozen. With a few other staples (broth, vegetables and leftover meat) homemade noodles turn cleaning out the refrigerator into an excellent last minute meal.



My husband tried his hand at noodles for the first time


ready to roll into noodles


enough noodles for one batch of chicken noodle soup
We made noodles Sunday and enjoyed chicken noodle soup for dinner and filled the freezer with homemade noodles that will turn leftovers into "Why don't you make this more often?"
Menu plan 10-25 - 10-31
Monday:
Tuesday:
French Dip Sandwiches
Wednesday:
Fresh Elk Steak with Mushroom Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Vegie
Thursday: I'm leaving town, so it's kids' and hubby choice.
Burgers and Mac-n-Cheese
Friday:
Pumpkin Carving with the Neighbors
Saturday:
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Sunday:
Poulet Saute a la Herbs de Provence(from Mastering the Art of French Cooking,) Rice Pilaf, Green Beans
Don't forget to visit Laura for more Menu Planning Monday

4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea to freeze the noodles! I will have to try that. I've tried storing them in the cupboard only to forget them, pull them out a month later, and find that they are all moldy and gross.

    Does elk have a gamey taste? We don't eat alot of game, but I'm hoping to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elk has a stronger flavor than beef, but I like it. We don't hunt, but many of our friends and family do so we always have a few elk or venison steaks or roasts in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never attempted to make homemade noodles before. How do you dry them? I remember my aunt made pasta when I was a kid. She had noodles draped over cabinet doors, over cereal boxes, etc. all over her kitchen! I know there's got to be a better way! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats when you make a bunch of noodles!!!

    ReplyDelete