Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Finals Finally Over!

I have been super busy since Thanksgiving working on final projects, writing final papers and studying for final exams, and at last, it's over; for this semester at least. We did try to stay to a menu plan for the most part. Thanksgiving provided lots of great leftovers to work with. We enjoyed turkey noodle soup, hot turkey sandwiches and turkey ala king. We also cooked a prime rib roast that made several appearances in the menu.

When things are really busy, I fall back on items that are quick and use few ingredients. If the ingredients are not expensive that makes those recipes even better. Linguine with Clams is one of our family favorites.

I start by sauteing one or two shallots in olive oil. Next I add a dash of crushed red peppers and fresh ground pepper along with a can of chopped clams. Cook just long enough to heat the clams through. Toss with cooked linguine. If the sauce seems dry, you can add a little pasta water. Salad and garlic toast round out the meal



Lately, I've been putting together my list and menu with speed foremost in my mind rather than planning for frugality. As Christmas break approaches, I really need to take the time to do a complete freezer and pantry inventory and use more of the items I have on hand. I'll add that to my "to do" list.
Even though the week is halfway over I'm still posting this week's menu.
Monday: Baked Tortellini using leftover pasta sauce and Italian sausage
Tuesday: Turkey and Bacon Panini with Sweet Potato Fries
Wednesday: Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, and Veggies.
Thursday: Mac-n-Cheese with Ham and Peas
Friday: Grilled Chicken, Rice Pilaf, and Salad
Saturday: Ham, Cheesy Potatoes
Sunday: Cajun Beans and Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment