Saturday, July 23, 2011

Menu for Two Weeks and a Very Short Grocery List


My last co-op basket was loaded with all kinds of goodies, and I did my best to put them all to good use.


I love apple pie and this is one of my favorites. It is not overly sweet and the crumble topping adds interesting texture.

This simple salad combines sweet fruit and salty prosciutto and Romano cheese. The lemon and olive oil dressing is a perfect compliment.

Cauliflower and Radish Salad

This salad was a summer staple. My mother made it with ranch dressing mix. I use my homemade ranch dressing instead. It's just like a vegie tray in a bowl.

I love picking up my basket. It's just like Christmas morning. I can't wait to get home and discover what surprises I'll find.
This time, the contents included: strawberries, nectarines, cantaloupe, bananas, mangoes, plums, baby heirloom tomatoes, fingerling potatoes (I think), onions, celery, romaine and green beans. I also picked up corn and flour tortillas.
I'm trying to keep my grocery budget low and make some room in my freezer. I planned the next two weeks menus relying mainly on the things I had on hand.

Saturday: Pork Roast, Rice Pilaf, Green Beans, Apple Cheddar Beer Bread
Sunday: Bacon, Onion, and Mushroom Pizza with Homemade Whole Wheat Crust, Strawberry Shortcake
Monday: Summer Garden Tortelloni, Fruit Salad. Baguette
Tuesday: Jerk Chicken with Mango Salsa, Red Beans and Rice
Wednesday: Picnic Dinner Chicken Caesar Salad Bagels
Thursday: Noodles with Roast Pork and Almonds (using leftovers from Saturday)
Friday: Grilled Steak Sandwiches, French Fries
Saturday: Chicken Marinated in Garlic Oil, Parmesan Noodles,
Sunday: Pork Spareribs, Corn on the Cob, Baked Beans
Monday: Chicken and Corn Tacos, Mexican Rice
Tuesday: Pork Chops, Apple Sauce, Vegie, Sour Cream and Thyme Rolls
Wednesday: Burgers and Chips
Thursday: Soup (Minestrone from the freezer) and Sandwiches
Friday: Steak, Foil Potatoes, Vegie, Apple Crisp
Saturday: Carne Guisada Burritos

I only needed a handful of groceries, mostly replenishing staple items like butter, brown sugar, and milk. I also needed a few fresh produce items that weren't in my basket. My grocery bill should be less than $100.

I'm done working until the end of August so I hope to put some meals into the freezer. I'd also like to make some muffins and other handy breakfast items for smoother school day mornings.

I haven't visited the Organizing Junkie in some time, but I will try to remember to link up to MPM on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I usually shop for 2 weeks at a time and make out a 2 week menu as well. Things usually get shifted around some, but at least I have the supplies for my meals. :) Great menu plan! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete