Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Menu January 3 - 9

The "No Shopping Challenge" last week went very well. The challenge was made much easier because I came down with a horrible cold and didn't feel like going anywhere and we had a huge snowstorm so driving didn't seem like a good idea, either. The only exceptions to last week's plan was a substitution of ham and bean soup from the freezer on one of the days I felt horrible, and a lunch at the Chinese food place while D and I were running errands.
I probably could have made it through another week without shopping, but the menu choices would have been limited and somewhat bland since I ran out of carrots, celery and onions. The basis of this week's plan was still things I had on hand, but augmented with a few items from the store. My total grocery spending this week was just under $50

Menu
Monday:
B - Cereal
L - Leftovers
D - Chicken Tamale Casserole (with leftover roast chicken)

Tuesday:
B - Rice Pudding
L - Sandwiches
D - Mac-n-Cheese with Salmon Patties

Wednesday:
B - Cinnamon Rolls
L - Sandwiches
D - Roasted Beef, Mushroom, and Barley Soup, French Bread

Thursday:
B - Cereal
L - Soup
D - Bistro Braised Chicken, Salad

Friday:
B - Eggs and Toast
L - Homemade Pizza
D - Tuna Noodle Casserole made with bechamel sauce

Saturday:
B - French Toast
L - Leftovers
D - BBQ Pork Sandwiches (from uncured pork shank, leftovers to be frozen for future meals,)
Au Gratin Potatoes

Sunday:
B - Pancakes
L/D Green Chile and Quesadillas

Salmon Patties are a family favorite. The recipe I use is my great-grandmother's. The copy I have is in her handwriting. It has all of the hallmarks of a depression era recipe: a few, inexpensive ingredients, high protein, and with stretch to make a lot by adding more crackers.
Combine one can of salmon, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk and enough crackers to make them thick enough to form patties, salt and pepper to taste. Adding onions are a great addition.
My grandmother scooped a couple of spoonfuls of saved bacon grease into the pan to fry these, I use a couple tablespoons of peanut oil. If there are any leftovers, they are great in sandwiches the next day.

What are your favorite family recipes?

See Laura at the Organizing Junkie for more menu plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment