Saturday, June 26, 2010

Healthy Lunches

Packing a lunch has never been my strongest suit.  I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches and leftovers get less appetizing the more often you eat them.  I'm working 3 days a week this summer and don't have much time for heating or assembling lunch.  Someone always makes a run to a fast food place, but I don't want to spend the money or consume the extra calories on food that is not nutritious or particularly tasty.
I invested in several Japanese style bento lunch boxes.  These boxes are compartmentalized.  One of the boxes has a freezer gel in the lid, so heat sensitive foods do not need refrigeration.  I pack lunch the night before and try to use things I have on hand.

Smoked salmon, hard-boiled egg, Laughing Cow cheese wedge, hummus, carrots, snap peas, pickles and olives.  I also packed a couple whole grain crackers.
Spinach, cherry tomatoes, leftover steak, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries.  I also packed a small container of vinaigrette.
Chicken and apple sausage, sharp cheddar, cauliflower snap peas, cherry tomatoes, strawberries and grapes.

It only takes a few minutes to put the meals together.  I usually pack them while putting dinners leftovers away, so I can incorporate the leftovers, without feeling like I'm eating the same meal the next day.  The variety also makes lunch more interesting and I seem to slow down and feel more satisfied, even though I'm not easting a huge meal.  
My daughter has watched me fix my lunches this week and has said she wants to pack the same kind of lunch for school in the fall.

3 comments:

  1. Love it!
    What year is your daughter? My girls have "issues" with taking a packed lunch. I'm hopeful they will get over their issues this summer since I desire for them to no longer eat school lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bento boxes! I have some that I bought but never got around to using since I wasn't working. Now, they are coming in handy for packing snacks and stuff to put in the diaper bag for my daughter!

    I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog! Check it out! I'm giving away a $40 CSN Stores gift certificate!!!
    www.under-the-big-oak-tree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biggest hurdle I have for getting the kids to pack lunch is that they have no access to a mircowave. Cold sandwiches and salads are not appealing when the wind chill is 15 degrees. The second biggest is planning ahead, I never seem to have lunch fixings when the kids are in the mood to pack lunch.

    ReplyDelete