Monday, June 7, 2010

Menu June 7-13

School's out and we're busy swimming, gardening and enjoying the nice weather.  I've filled the fridge with fresh fruits and vegies for snacks and home baked muffins and scones for breakfast last week.  I've been getting up early and walking 3 or 4 miles before everyone else is up and going.  I fell out of the habit last fall, but remember that I felt better when I was walking and eating healthier.  Getting back into the habit has been pretty easy, but my body hasn't forgiven me for the long break.  It will be  few more days before the sore muscles go away.
The weather is beautiful so we will be grilling and eating on the patio almost every night.  Breakfast and lunch choices have not changed much this week.  Breakfast includes oatmeal, fresh fruit, and scrambled eggs.  Lunches will be leftovers and sandwiches.
Monday: Grilled Chicken with Maple and Mustard Glaze, Rice Pilaf, Green Beans
Wednesday: Garlic and Mustard Marinated Steak, Hobo Potatoes, Sauteed Mixed Vegies
Thursday: Steak Salad, Beer Bread
Friday: Margarita Braised Chicken, Green Rice
Saturday: Pork Lettuce Wraps, Chicken Ponzu, Rice, Stir Fried Vegies
Sunday: Country Style Ribs, Cole Slaw, Deviled Eggs, Corn Bread

We grill a lot in the summer time and I love hobo packets.  Both the baked fish and hobo potatoes utilize this technique.  For the potatoes, I slice them thinly, sprinkle with salt and pepper and whatever herb I have on hand, usually rosemary or thyme, and drizzle with a little olive oil.  They cook on the grill with the main course and there's no dirty pan!  I never thought of putting fruit in a hobo packet, but saw a recipe last week for fruit desserts.  I adapted this recipe and used strawberries, black berries, and cherries, since that's what I had on had.  They were excellent and we will definitely make them again.
Don't forget to check out The Organizing Junkie's Meal Planning Monday for more ideas

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! And thanks for your suggestion of the New England Seafood Bake for our clambake anniversary dinner! (And the well wishes too!) I think it will be the perfect meal for us!

    I'm your first follower! I look forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete